THINK TANK MBA
Think Tank MBA is the Atlas Leadership Academy’s flagship, a 10-day strategic planning program for leaders within new and established think tanks. Participants draft a strategic plan for their organization, gain customized leadership advice, compete in a Campaign Challenge, and the John Blundell Elevator Pitch Competition.
Think Tank MBA 2017 took place in Fairfax, Va., from Oct. 27 - Nov. 5. The application deadline has passed.
Who will benefit:
- Executive directors of institutes over 18 months old
- New leadership at established organizations
- Program managers & directors at established organizations
What you’ll learn:
- Strategic planning
- Evaluation methods
- Branding & communications
- Leadership skills
- Personnel management
- Successful fundraising strategies
You’ll leave this training with:
- A strategic plan ready to be presented to your staff and board
- A renewed vision for the work of your organization
- A strong understanding of what it takes to fundraise successfully, in any political climate
- Strategies for managing staff and leading with integrity
- A tight-knit group of fellow participants, from all parts of the world, who are eager to work with you and cheer you on to success
- A one-minute elevator pitch ready to deliver to potential collaborators
The training program is divided into six modules, which include:
- Strategic Thinking – This module emphasizes the importance of developing a sound business plan for your institute and includes drafting a S.W.O.T. analysis as well as evaluation and measurement techniques to assess your performance as a think tank.
- Strategic Communication – This module emphasizes the understanding and importance of working with media as well as properly crafting your message to your targeted audience.
- Group Campaigns – This module is a practical application exercise in which teams will design, plan, execute, and present a collaborative group project on a policy/advocacy issue of your choice. This module allows participants to work collaboratively with one another to apply what has been taught up to this point.
- Fundraising – This module teaches the basics of growing and sustaining a donor base by developing fundraising tools and crafting a sales pitch for your institute. This will include topics such as donor prospecting, proposal writing, direct mail, high-end relational fundraising and how to use your board in relation to fundraising.
- Leadership Development – This module will introduce ingredients for how to build a high-performing team — with sessions on personnel management, leadership styles, and case studies on successful think tanks and think tank leaders. Participants will take a Hogan Assessment survey prior to arriving at the Think Tank MBA.
- Operational Management – This module covers the “nuts and bolts” that support a smoothly functioning institute, including the role of the board, legal governance, financial stewardship; and office structure.